I’m all for anything homemade, i believe it’s a lot healthier and in this case might save you a couple of extra bucks.
I caved in and decided it was time to try making my own nut milk at home. I’ve been wanting to do it for the longest time and decided to finally give it a try. So here’s what you’ll need. It might look complicated and a waste of time when you can just buy it at the store but the end result is so good. The best part is that you can buy almonds in bulk on Amazon for cheaper, while a carton of almond milk anywhere will cost about $2.99 and more.
- Soak 1 cup of almonds over night or for 4-6 hours*
- Drain and add to your blender and add 2 cups of water. This part is up to you, the first time I made it I only used 2 cups of water and it was creamy and thick but it you like it more watery add 3 cups
- Blend until all the almonds are fully blended and not in chunks
- Grab a bowl, place the strainer over the bowl and pour the milk into the strainer. Slowly with your hands, massage the strainer to get all the milk out
- Pour your milk from the bowl back into your blender. This is the fun part, this is where you can add your sweetener if you wish to at all. You can add vanilla extract, dates, cinnamon or honey
- Blend the milk with your sweetener and pour into your glass bottle
- Enjoy with a warm latte
I’ve tried with both cashew and almond milk and so far I much prefer the almond milk. Comment below if you’ve ever given it a try and what sweeteners you put in!
*DON’T FORGET TO SOAK YOUR ALMONDS – I once forgot to soak them and had the worst digestive pains for a whole week.